Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dreams

I’ve been dreaming a lot lately. My best guess is to why this is happening is that I’m not able to share everything that’s on my mind – or, during school, basically anything that’s on my mind, other than “where is my German book.” There are thirty German books, and thirty-one students. Since I was the last to show up, since I don’t speak German, and, most importantly, since I don’t speak Turkish and thus can’t complain to anyone who can do anything about it, I don’t have a German book. This makes the lessons kind of hard, because language classes (German and English) rely exclusively on the book. Any other class I could get by without the book, but German, no. German is one of the few classes I’m actually interested in, but I can’t follow it (it’s all in German and Turkish). While I’m interested in learning German, the last thing I need is another language to confuse me.

I wrote that last paragraph last night, just before I went to bed. Sure enough, today at school, I got my German book. My elation didn’t last long, however. I quickly realized that – shockingly – the book didn’t confer upon me the instant ability to speak German. So I went back to doing what I do in every other class: reading, reviewing flash cards, and sleeping.

Anyways, I started this post writing about dreams. (I just put on “Dreams” by Fleetwood Mac.) One of my most vivid dreams occurred while I was in Ünye. I was with all the kids I used to ski with, most of whom at CVA now. I had just finished a half-marathon. I remember really distinctly that my time was two hours and sixteen minutes, and I was extremely excited by this. I didn’t remember doing any specific training for the race, I just ran it and finished. I don’t know anything about running. 2:16 isn’t that great a time over 13 miles, I understand. An Ethiopian just set a new (full) marathon world record of 2:03 – thanks, Wikipedia News Feed for that tidbit. I was so proud and excited to have run it that I didn’t want to wake up. Then I did wake up, and I was depressed to realize that even in my dreams, my subconscious realized that the odds of me running a full marathon are basically nil, and settled for the half. It’s kind of like Sarah Palin saying women are going to break the “highest glass ceiling of all”: Vice President, of course.

I just ate Burger King for the 3rd time since I got here. I probably have gone to Burger King three times in the past three years back in the US.

Alright. I’m writing this to put off writing more college essays. I need to get back.

No comments: