Monday, September 8, 2008

Antalya

To my great relief, I ended up flying to Antlya. Filiz, my host mother, had previously told me that she thought that I would be traveling by bus. İstanbul to Analya by bus is about twelve hours, whereas a plane is barely one. We traveled yesterday to Antalya airport, which had a high concentration of jets flying the flags of Russia and the -stans.

I met my Filiz and my host brother, Bulatcan, at the airport, and before I knew it, we were motoring away towards their flat. I needed a nap. I remember from studying abroad in Egypt that I was seemingly always tired. Something about being an exchange student is exhausting. Perhaps it’s the heat or the walking or maybe just the adrenaline.

Speaking of heat: Atanlya is hot. So hot. Bulatcan and I went to some cliffs near my house to cool off, and saw a cruise ship go past. The Mediterranean is much saltier than the Atlantic, I think, and it’s far easier to stay afloat. Bulatcan and I both have our hair cropped fairly shortly, and two people asked us separately if we were military students.

I’m writing from a jury-rigged internet connection. The wireless setup isn’t working for me here, so I think tomorrow I will buy a cable. I wish I’d thought to pack one. I was a little depressed yesterday when I unpacked because I realized what a profoundly awful job I did at packing. I managed to somehow end up without a single sweatshirt but I have a big winter coat which I know I’m never going to need. We have a mid-year camp in February where I will probably use it, but I feel a little stupid having brought something that I am going to wear for a grand sum of about 2 hours whilst in Turkey. Ah well. There’s nothing I can do now save shop, and Antalya has shopping galore. There are two malls within walking distance of my house and tomorrow I will meet my counselor and Wednesday I will go shopping for school supplies and my uniform.

Filiz and I checked out my school today. I was a little overwhelmed because we went at the end of the day, and students were milling about without any semblance of order. School starts today, but I don’t have to start attending until next week.

Bulatcan and one of his friends want to go to mall. I’ll write more later when I’m feeling more erudite and composed. Life is good, and I’m so glad to be here – now comes the hard part.

No comments: