Friday, September 26, 2008

More School

It’s been far too long since I last wrote, I’m afraid. I’ve come to realize that writing a blog is extremely difficult. Of course, this is true of any writing. It’s not the physical act of writing that’s difficult, at least not for me. It’s the preparation and self-motivation that is problematic.

Anyways – today was my first full week of school. Last week, I only went for three days because I was feeling a little ill Thursday and Friday. I can’t emphasize the “little” enough. Thus far this trip (with my fingers knocking on wood as I write this), I haven’t gotten sick.

School is… boring. Imagine the most boring day possible, and then multiply it times five. Even in the classes where I can barely make out what the teacher is talking about – Chemistry and Geometry – I’m totally screwed when it comes to any sort of homework. Most work that we are assigned is practice problems for ÖSS, which is the Turkish equivalent of the SAT. Unlike the SAT, which our guidance counselors are constantly telling us not to spend so much time worrying about, the ÖSS will basically determine a Turkish student’s entire life. If you do well, you get to go to university, and if not – no school for you. Most students attend after-school prep-classes, especially those in 11th and 12th grade. It’s tough.

I’m in 10th grade. The reason for this is the aforementioned ÖSS. Students in 11th or 12th grade don’t really have any time for socializing and indulging someone who doesn’t speak Turkish. My class is 10-C. (‘C’ in Turkish is pronounced like ‘dj’.) Except for laboratory periods and physical education, every lesson takes place in the same room, with the same group of students. The rooms are completely Spartan – the only adornments are a picture of Atatürk, Atatürk’s “Message to Turkish Youth”, and the words to the national anthem. All three also appear at the beginning of every textbook.

Every morning, the entire student body assembles in the playground while the headmaster imparts words of wisdom. Of course, no one listens. On Monday mornings and Friday afternoons, we sing the national anthem. Luckily for me, many of the students just mumble their way through it, so as long as I move my lips I can stay out of trouble. That’s a good thing – I’m probably the tallest student in my school, so the headmaster can stare directly at me while I pretend to sing. I really have to sell it.

Once the morning assembly is done, we file in to the school, one class at a time. The teachers form a gauntlet, and as we walk through the doors, the pick students at random from the line, haranguing them about the many ways in which their uniform is improper. I say “at random” because no one wears the uniform properly – no one tucks in their shirts (unless the headmaster is coming), no one wears their tie, and most of the guys don’t shave as often as the teachers would like. It is by far the most nerve-wracking part of my day, but most of the teachers know I’m American and don’t waste their time yelling at me if I roll up my sleeves.

We have a week-long holiday now, so I’ll have plenty of time to write more. Later, I’m going to try to upload some pictures. I have so much more to write, but I’m tired and will try to continue later.

No comments: