Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fire on the sea

I’m writing this on my own laptop. What a relief. Bulatcan and I just went to S’hemall (don’t ask) and picked up an Ethernet cable. I gave up trying to get my computer to work wirelessly and am just glad to be online, using my own keyboard. Thus far the only thing I’ve spent money on has been my uniform. It’s at the tailor right now.

My days have settled in to a fairly predictable pattern: sleep in until 10 or so, get up, eat, study Turkish, eat again, go to the beach, come back, eat again, watch television with the family, study more Turkish, eat more, and then sleep. It’s a pretty pleasant life. If only it wasn’t so hot. Any time I have free time I try and review my flash cards. My host mother Filiz helped me study for a while today. She was an English teacher, and though she’s never taught Turkish she did an excellent job. Unfortunately, many of the sounds are completely foreign for me and I have a hard time stringing words together.

Tomorrow I will go to the Antalya museum, and I think my camera will finally get some use.

No comments: